Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica cutting contest at SPAH

That sort of thing is so far from the reasons that I play music ... I have
no desire to "break" anyone or "establish dominance." If I see a player
who's not as good as I am at a jam, I make a conscious effort to be
welcoming and encouraging. And that's because lots of folks have done the
same for me, and still do. I've run into the other attitude too, of course,
and I take the same approach to a headcutting harp player as I do to the
jerk in the Hummer who cuts the line at the toll booth. Yep, you're in front
of me now. Hope it's improved your self image.

I've seen great pro players get up on stage and try to outdo each other,
with intensity and amazing playing, but also with respect and mutual
admiration. Those are legendary moments at jams. But when it turns into
"headcutting," with the hostility and desire to play someone off the stage,
well, those moments are legendary too. Usually the legend is about what a
!@#$% the superstar player was, and how glad everyone is that he (and isn't
it almost always a he) doesn't come to the jam anymore.

I play music to connect with other people, not to step on them, and I would
hope that SPAH -- where players of every level get together to just have fun
-- will foster that spirit.

ken