[Harp-L] Rotory Effects & POG for Harmonica to Hammond B3 mutation.

Hey Ya'll
Here's my experience with Roto effects and trying to get that thick
overdriven Hammond B3 sound.

In order of preference for roto effects -

1. Controlled throat vibrato ( intensity and speed control and ramping up
and down can be beat, and no irksome noise floor ) + an overdriven
tube/valve amp + an Electro-Harmonix POG. Believe it or not it's CONVINCING.

2. DLS Roto-Sim ( transparent, infinitely adjustable with external and
internal trim pots,convincing rotory effect,  ramping up and down with an
expression pedal - worthless built in overdrive and a teeny-weeny bit - at
least to my ear - of phaser artifacts) all in all the BEST outboard rotory
pedal.

3. Hughes & Kettner Roto-Sphere ( convincing rotor, but no ,way to control
ramp up and ramp down in real time, good onboard overdrive, freaking
intolerable noise floor level - lots of what is inside the pedal is smoke
and mirrors...anyone out there who is expert at solid state could improve
upon it with some time and imagination )

4. Sweetsound Ultra-Vibe or Mojo Vibe ( beautiful, sweet sounding, well
engineered units + the Mojo-Vibe - the newer model - can be expression
pedaled for ramp control......BUT it sounds like a vintage Uni-Vibe NOT a
rotory speaker....close but no ceegar! )

5. Option 5 (brand ) Destination Rotation ( inflexible, hopeless, wimpy -
save your money )

6.Maxon Vintage Series Rotory Phaser ( Phaser artifacts that RULE )

7. Any other Phaser - fuggetaboutit!

Now About The POG

POG -Great Little ( actually BIG pedalboard hog ) Unit ( although my
guitarist hates the sound - purist that he is ) infinitely
adjustable.......BUT....has a MAJOR noise problem - meaning it picks up and
amplifies ambient microphone noise.

This I have found can be dealt with by a Rocktron ( OK, OK, I KNOW they make
crappy sounding, poorly engineered and manufactured pedals ). The original
two knob, 'two channel' Rocktron Hush is the better unit.

When all is said and done I rarely use the POG + controlled throat vibrato +
overdriven tube amp for the B3 sound - but when I need it to comp ( play
rhythm ) it's a nice addition to the arsenal.

That being said I find myself going more and more minimal as I reach
geezerhood ( 59 ) + there's less chance of gear failure and tweak-neurosis
with a minimal rig.....thus more energy for soul and improvisation.

Yours Somewhat Truly
Roger 'Wader' Boyce
Writing from the bottom 1/4 of the dirtball known as Earth.