[Harp-L] Re: A Good Chromatic

Hello, Evedock. Tom B.'s suggested choices for slide chromatic harmonicas
are solid.

Before anything else, I must say that if you are planning on buying
harmonicas for your sons (both adults) "whether they want one or not,"
I'd say,  DON'T.  If they don't want it, they won't use  it.  That statement
comes from experience as a music teacher of 42  years.

When you asked about the best slide chromatic harmonica "out of the box,"  my
mind went immediately to the Hering brand. It sounds smooth
as silk out of the box. Very easy to play. However, I've heard from several
chromatic players that the silk turns to sandpaper after about 6 months.
That hasn't happened to my Hering Baritono. I bought it about 6-7 years ago
and it still plays great, but I use it sparingly.

If you want a dependable, solid, well-made harmonica that will improve  after
it's "broken in," I'd recommend Hohners first, The durability and tunings
are legendary. Hohner backs its harmonicas with a warranty (all major
harmonica manufacturers do), but Hering is very hard to deal with. Other  chromatics
are also excellent: Huang, Suzuki. My Huang chromatics are very  dependable,
with plastic combs.

I don't own a Suzuki chromatic, but I'd put the company in a tie with  Hohner
and Seydel in reliability and customer service.

If you want to buy a low maintenance, reliable and durable harmonica,  the
Hohner CX-12 (3 octaves range, 10 available keys) is the top of my list,
and it's very airtight, with easy maintenance, Another good choice is my
favorite workhorse, the Hohner Super 64 chromatic. It's got 16 holes( four
octaves range), plus a silver plated mouthpiece for easy play, and a plastic  comb.
It's sold in the key of C only.

Whatever harmonica you choose, I'd recommend one with a plastic or metal
comb (sound chamber). The wood combs may or may not be affected
by moisture or humidity, and may or may not crack due to expansion and
contraction of the wood.

The plastic combed harmonicas are relatively inexpensive. The metal combed
chromatics are very expensive, but will probably last forever. They are heavy
in  the hands, compared to wood or plastic combed harmonicas. Plastic and metal
 combed harmonicas aren't affected by low or high humidity.and/or  dryness.

If you really want to buy harmonicas despite your sons' rejection of  the
idea, do yourself a favor, and don't buy the expensive harmonicas (in the
$300-$600+ price range, or the hyper expensive types ($600-$6000 price range).  Buy
a good, useable chromatic for under $100 each. All of the major companies
sell these, but I'd stick with Hohners.

John Broecker