[Harp-L] New Richard Hunter piece on Broadjam.com

Hi all,

I just posted a new piece to Broadjam.com. It's called "Kill the Doctor," and it expresses my emotions towards the physician who nearly killed my wife a few years ago. Unlike most of my pieces, this one includes a vocal. I wrote and sang the lyrics. You can hear it at:

http://broadjam.com/rhunter

Please note that art is not life, and the song expresses my emotions, not my intentions. In other words, I have no intention of killing anybody, now or in the future. So you may enjoy the piece (if indeed you enjoy it) without feeling that you are duty-bound to call the cops afterwards.

This topic is pretty blue, and the piece is written as a 16-bar blues form. For some reason I've been playing a lot of blues lately, and my long-standing love for Charlie Musselwhite really comes through on this one.

The harp was recorded into the computer through a Line 6 UX2 audio interface, using Line 6's Gearbox software (which essentially duplicates a POD amp modeler in software). I went for a Chicago-type amped sound, using a Bassman amp model and a 1x12 cabinet model, and I must say that I'm pretty amazed at how quickly (like, 5 minutes, tops) I was able to use that software to dial in a very convincing amped harp tone, complete with analog delay and spring reverb, using nothing but the software and an Audix Fireball mic. It was as if I was standing in front of the amp, working the controls--it was that simple. The sound you hear on the recording has hardly been altered at all from the original tracks--I only EQ'd out a little bit of bottom end to make room for the bass.

Like I said, I was impressed. I would say that at about $125 and $200 respectively, a Line 6 UX1 or UX2 is a pretty cost-effective way for a harp player to record a very big range of amped sounds for not a lot of money. You can't play live with either of those devices--they're only for recording, and only via a USB connection to a computer--but a Line 6 POD or POD XT will do that job for a little more money. (FYI, the guitar--actually electric strumstick--parts were recorded through the same device, using an amp model based on a Fender Deluxe.)

Final comments on the harp stuff: I did some early takes where my solos were all over the high end of the harmonica, but I realized eventually that to get the right Chicago feel, I had to hug the low end of the harp. I'm glad I did. But I got some of my signature wide intervals in: the opening harp chords, repeated at the end of every verse, alternate between octaves and 12ths (1-4 and 1-6 splits, to be exact). The harp used for this recording is a Suzuki Firebreath in Bb, played in second position. I liked the sound of the instrument, but I found it to be difficult to control, especially on the draw 3 reed--this is a problem area on every Firebreath I've purchased.

Thanks and regards,
Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
Latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter