[Harp-L] Subject: Re: Soaking Harps...

.....then you might find this of some interest:

"Antibacterial Soaps:
Question:  Do antibacterial soaps work better than normal  soaps?

In the Journal of Hospital Infections, June 1995, researchers  from
Georgetown University declared that handwashing remains sporadic and  ineffective in
all health care settings and among all types of staff. We know  that effective
handwashing at the appropriate moments is one of the most  powerful measures of
preventive medicine available today. It is inexpensive,  non-invasive, and of
great proven benefit. That _handwashing_ (http://www.drgreene.com/21_67.html)
 should remain  neglected at the close of the twentieth century -- by health
care professionals  -- is a disgrace!
One hundred fifty years ago Dr. Semmelweis, fresh out of medical school, was
a young assistant physician in the maternity hospital in Vienna, Austria. In
Europe at that time, mortality rates in maternity hospitals ranged as high as
25  to 30 percent. A postpartum infection known as puerperal fever was the
main  cause of death. Dr. Semmelweis decided to investigate the cause of
puerperal  fever, against the strong objections of his superiors who felt that the
high  mortality rates were normal and non-preventable.
Semmelweis had a friend who died from a wound infection after performing an
autopsy on a woman who had died of puerperal fever. His symptoms had been
similar to those of the infected women. Semmelweis also noticed that the
obstetric mortality rates were highest in the delivery room where students went
directly to attend the labor of healthy mothers immediately after dissecting the
bodies of women who had died of puerperal fever.
Semmelweis ordered all of the medical students to wash their hands after
performing autopsies and before examining living women. This was considered by
the students to be unnecessary and burdensome, but they complied. As a result,
the mortality rate plummeted to 1.27 percent. Yet Semmelweis lost his job for
 being a troublemaker.
He wrote and spoke about the importance of handwashing, but was largely
ignored. Finally, when a hospital in Pest, Austria, was having a particularly  bad
epidemic of puerperal fever, they hired Semmelweis to be the chief of
obstetrics. He instituted handwashing, the epidemic vanished, and the mortality
rate fell to 0.85 percent for the six years that he remained there.
Semmelweis published his findings and sent them to all of the prominent
obstetricians and medical societies throughout Europe. The response was  outspoken
and antagonistic. The steady rejection by the medical establishment of
Semmelweis's appeal to reason gradually resulted in his becoming discouraged,
disillusioned, and depressed. He died in a mental hospital at only 47 years of
age -- of a wound infection.
Now, Semmelweis is a hero of medicine. His teachings on handwashing have been
 validated repeatedly. The benefit has been proven in obstetrics, in
operating  rooms, in intensive care units, in doctor's offices, and in every health
care  setting. It has also been proven to be powerfully effective in preventing
common  infections in healthy children at home and at school.
Children who wash their hands effectively have fewer visits to the doctor,
take fewer _antibiotics_ (http://www.drgreene.com/21_646.html) , need fewer
prescription medicines, have fewer illnesses, and miss less school than their
counterparts. This has been demonstrated repeatedly. Schools with regular
handwashing programs have measurably fewer infections in their students than
schools with sporadic handwashing. Schools without handwashing routines have
large amounts of fecal _bacteria_ (http://www.drgreene.com/21_527.html)
detectable on classroom  floors and carpets.
What does it mean to wash effectively? Children (and adults) must be taught
to wash their hands at all of the critical moments. These include washing
after  defecating, after handling diapers, before handling food, before eating,
and  before feeding children. They must also wash with water and a cleansing
agent --  not water alone. Even washing with ashes and water, or soil and water,
has been  proven to be more effective than washing with water alone.
Is antibacterial soap the best cleansing agent? The scientific studies
comparing antibacterial soap to regular soap give apparently contradictory
results. Some studies show it is better, others that it is worse, and others  seem to
show no difference. Taken together, these studies indicate that
antibacterial soaps are more effective at reducing infections by some organisms
(especially staph and strep); they are worse at preventing some types of  infections
(especially by some of the organisms called gram negative bacteria,  since the
antibacterial soaps kill much of the beneficial bacteria that normally  live on
our skin and protect us from some of these gram negative organisms); and
they make no difference for some types of infections (such as cytomegalovirus
[CMV], or Clostridia -- the bacteria that cause gangrene).
For children who are prone to _impetigo_
(http://www.drgreene.com/21_204.html) , boils, or _pimples_ (http://www.drgreene.com/21_811.html) , I would
recommend using  an antibacterial soap. I would also recommend it for people who are
exposed to a  great many infectious diseases (I use it in my office). For
others, I would  recommend a gentle cleanser such as Dove, Alpha Keri, Aveeno, or
Cetaphil, to  avoid dry or cracked skin.
Far more important than the choice of soap is consistent, thorough
handwashing. Let the legacy of Semmelweis inspire you to give the gift of  handwashing
to your children, rather than additional rounds of antibiotics. It  does take
a little work, but far less than the work it would take to take care  of your
children during the _infections_ (http://www.drgreene.com/54_20.html)  you
will instead  prevent.
    Alan Greene MD FAAP

(http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?xyzpdqabc=0&id=21&action=sendtofriend&ref=819)