Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica recording / Audio Interface

"Alexander Savelyev" wrote:
<Just wondering if anyone from the list uses audio interface / sound cards with <the laptop - something like M-Audio units or Digidesign  Mbox, etc. My plans are <to do several CD projects (language course, harmonica instruction and other) and <then bring recorded audio material to professional studio and have them mix and <master my projects. I think of Mbox 2 as it works directly with Pro Tools - <standard pro studio software - though would like to ask around first.
<
<Another alternative might be getting Zoom H4 and then exporting files to some of <the pro DAWs for processing.
<
<I won't need more than two tracks recorded simultaneously. Though I'd like
<to use stereo pair of mics.
<
<The ultimate goal is (1) to have some recording device handy so that it's <comfortable to work at home when ideas come to mind and it's comfortable <(without pressure experienced in the studio) and (2) semi-pro audio quality for <studio finalization (I know that studio quality can be achieved only in studio).

Alexander,

First, there is NO reason why you can't record studio-quality tracks at home with a decent audio interface, microphone, and laptop.  If you doubt it, listen to Peter Ruth's Harmonica and Ukele project CD--all recorded in his home on Pro Tools, then mixed in a professional studio, and it sounds plain great.  I agree completely that it's very helpful to go to a pro for mixing, both because the audio environment and the engineer's ears are likely to be be better than yours; but for recording tracks (as opposed to mixes), anyone who's willing to take the time to set up properly can get pro-quality results, especially now that the essential gear is cheap (and where software is concerned, often free).

If you're recording only two tracks at a time, several portable USB audio interfaces will do the trick very well.  The Tascam 122 (USB 1.1) and 122L (USB 2.0) and the Line 6 UX1 are all solid and reliable, and retail for under $150 in the USA.  At a slightly higher price point (under $200 US), the EMU 0404 USB, the Tascam 144L (with S/PDIF in and out) and the Line 6 UX2 are all excellent quality interfaces.  The Line 6 devices are especially worth your attention; they ship with Line 6's "gearbox" software, which includes a lot of high-quality software emulations of amps, mics, and preamps.  It's a lot of high-quality sounds for the money.  The UX2 has phantom power for its preamps, so can be used with high quality condensor mics; the UX1 does not.

All these interfaces support 16 or 24 bit recording at speeds up to 96 kHz and have decent built-in preamps, so they all can produce keeper quality tracks.  (I have avoided mentioning M-Audio's interfaces, although lots of people use them, because the forums I check out regularly all seem to say that M-Audio doesn't update its audio driver software frequently enough.)

The Zoom H4 is also a terrific option.  Its built-in mics sound good, and it has inputs for external mics (with phantom power if necessary).  It's advertised as a USB audio interface too, but I've found it too slow to really use for that purpose (although file transfers work just fine). But if you want something that starts up recording with three quick button pushes, as opposed to going through a full laptop boot cycle lasting several minutes, the Zoom is your gear. Given that it can use external mics, and that it records at 24 bits and up to 96 kHz, it's got plenty good sound quality.

Check the software packages that come with these interfaces--most of them ship with DAW (digital audio workstation) software such as Cubase LE or Cakewalk SONAR LE, which would make it unnecessary for you to spend extra on Pro Tools.  Granted that most pro studios use Pro Tools--the fact is that once you supply them with a set of recorded audio files, it doesn't matter what you recorded that tracks on.  For that matter, you can download Reaper, a very capable DAW program, for free, and pay something like $40 if you decide to keep using it.

Final comment: if you're just getting into digital recording, get a subscription to Computer Music magazine.  Every issue is a hands-on lesson in production techniques, and the software that comes with their cover DVD every month is more than sufficient to supply a home studio with a full set of high-quality recording and mixing tools.  It's a hell of a lot of value for money.

Good luck and regards,
Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter