[Harp-L] Re: Popper Project

I haven't heard the CD, but I saw the project live and enjoyed it a great
deal.  It's very spacey music with a lot of European and Middle Eastern
influences.  Popper plays some of it very slowly, and he uses heavy effects
throughout.

I saw Blues Traveler two weeks ago for the 4th of July at Red Rocks.  I've
liked some of their popular songs, but I had never seen BT live before this.
It was an entertaining show, but the songs were quite repetitive because
Popper seemed to play the same ultra-fast solo over and over again, with a
few greatly appreciated exceptions.  Also, though I love the sound of his
voice, the way he sings (and possibly also the stage mixing) made it almost
impossible to understand the lyrics, so most of the songs sounded alike from
a vocal standpoint, too.  Highlight of the show was during a jam, Popper
played the melody for "Blister in the Sun" and the Violent Femmes singer
(they had opened) came out to sing that song.  The audience just erupted.

***Please, I am not in any way trying to start a Popper debate.  Just
providing a couple of concert reports.  For pure harp content, I don't think
it's worth seeing Popper live, as it's just too repetitive.  However, jam
band fans will enjoy both of these acts.

Jonathan Metts