Re: [Harp-L] Soaking harps

Why does a harp play more responsively for a few minutes after you run it
under the tap?
I mainly use non-wood combs, so I'm really only interested in what effect
soaking has on the reeds.

Ken

Because you've washed the gunk (AKA dried saliva) out of it.

Dave Payne Sr.

Dave is correct. For many years I've washed my plastic-bodied non-valved harps under a lively stream of tepid water thoroughly after every session and shaken/tapped out the excess. I then leave them out to dry all night before putting them away. They sound brighter and are more responsive as a result. No gunk accumulates in the holes (and I drink copious beer whilst playing - it's free). I can't think of any way in which this treatment would reduce the longevity of harps. You hear a lot of advice warning that you shouldn't do this but I feel that this falls into the category of handed-down received wisdom. Even wood-combed Hohner MS harps don't seem to suffer from a quick wash-out. My harps never give me cold sores or sore throats either.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm