Re: [Harp-L] Hunter & Rubin Comments/Stories

The dancers for the Big River overture are something new to me; I've
always done it just with fiddle and guitar, with the harmonica starting
everything. I like the touch of having it come out of a lone player
improvising.

Like you, I've found conductors quite willing to let the harmonica
player add things (often doubling fiddle or bass clarinet) or even
receive special feature attention (sometimes by way of helping a singer
with an entrance, as in playing a solo chorus of "Crossing to the Other
Side"). Sometimes it even extended to interacting with the actors (like
having a swordfight with the Duke at the end of the Entr'acte). I think
that conductors are often fascinated by the harmonica when they
discover a good player and are both stimulated and willing to allow
some creative latitude.

It's also true that the community of theater people has an energy and
camaraderie that is quite different from that of just musicians and is
well worth experiencing. Theater has some odd traditions like wishing
someone good luck by saying, "Merde!" (The French equivalent to "Break
a leg," which literally means "sh*t and which, when you think about it,
is every bit as counter-intuitive as its English-language counterpart);
and like not mentioning "the Scottish play" by name (Shakespeare's
Macbeth; it's considered to be show-killing bad luck to speak its name,
and though no-one will admit to believing it, everyone honors it).

Winslow