[Harp-L] Hunter & Rubin Comments/Stories

I, like Michael Rubin, have been away for a working vacation blowing harp in
the great outdoors at a big antique market in Brimfield, MA. This wasn't
really a money making venture but I did end up covering all expenses and
having a blast. The weather was incredible and it brought out many beautiful
women in summer attire! I set up a small table of harps for sale and had the
PA set up under a tent. Along with an old guitar playing buddy we played for
about 8 hours a day just having fun and bantering with the passers by. We
made more in the tip jar than I made in harp sales!

I want to comment on those great posts that Richard and Michael made about
their solo endeavors. Both of these gentlemen have incredible skill sets and
work ethics. What they have accomplished in their musical careers is
inspiring to say the least. The practice routine that Michael went through
for three weeks before hitting the road for the Broadway show / Civil War
gig is incredible. I hate to admit it but he probably practiced more in
those 3 weeks than I have in a lifetime!

As I said in the previous post I made about my first solo experiences; the
backing tracks were a survival tool when I realized I didn't yet have the
skill set to hold an audience for any period of time with just my harp and
inexperienced vocals. I have really been in "process/soul searching" 'mode
since my initial thrust into this new direction. One thing for sure is that
I HATE playing with the backing CD's. The difference between playing live
with live musicians and playing along with pre-recorded tracks is enormous.
I really could relate to Richards comment about playing solo in front of
alcohol imbibing audiences as well. So now I am working on a multi-faceted
plan. 1) Try to get "Rubineske" in my practicing routine and keep working
towards true solo performance capabilities. Basically get better at harp
because I have a long way to go to get to the level of guys like Richard &
Michael and the many other monsters of the harp out there. 2) Discover and
cultivate my "voice" for singing. 3) Seek out a like minded "partner in
crime" guitar player to be my sideman. The goal still remains to create the
"Warren Bee" show with a modular approach. Me doing vocals and harp as front
man, solo if necessary, and then being able to add musicians starting with
guitarist as backup. Better gigs will permit the addition of bass, drums,
keys etc. 3) Use my sales and marketing experience to build a business
around my harp addiction. This will fill in gaps around gigs and be a
critical source of cash flow. Right now I am working on the logistics for
creating a mobile music themed business that I can take around the country
to do things like I did this past week in Brimfield, MA as well as music
festivals, street fairs etc. The key for me right now is to stay open minded
and let everything evolve. One day at a time with the harmonica front and
center as my true love in life! Let the chips fall where they may.

It's nice to hear more folks talking about attending SPAH. It's gonna be
fun. I hope to see many of you for some Blues for Breakfast!

Warren Bee