[Harp-L] Danny Boy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe and Cass Leone" <leone@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Glenn Weiser" <celticguitar1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2007 11:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Danny Boy

> On Jul 15, 2007, at 5:16 PM, Glenn Weiser wrote:
>
>> "Danny Boy" was originally a harp tune from around 1600, it seems,  but
>> that was the Irish harp.
>>
>> -Glenn Weiser
>>
>> __Yes, it is so old, no one knows who wrote it. I never understood  why
>> it is always written in Eb. Seems a little strange to me. You  would
>> think it would have been written in 'Dry Irish'.
>
> smo-joe

The authorship of "Danny Boy" is attributed to the Irish harper Blind Rory
O'Cahan, a nobleman of Ulster disposses of his land by the English around
1600. The tune was originally known as the "Lament for Ulster." An untitled
version in G was collected in 1845 by Irish ethnomusicoligist George Petrie
in County Derry. The lyrics, though came later: one set, "Londonderry Air,"
by Thomas Moore in the 1850s, and the, next, the famous "Danny Boy" lyrics,
by Fred Weatherly (gasp! an Englishman) in 1913.

Glenn Weiser