Re: [Harp-L] re: so you want to be a harp player

On Jul 15, 2007, at 3:23 PM, Steve Shaw wrote:

Another example 'Londonderry Aire' (aka Danny Boy). It was a long time practice in the country western field to use FOUR harps for this tune. One for the head, one for the bridge, modulate up a semi one and a third for the head and the fourth for the finale. I have always used just TWO harps for this tune even with a key change, BUT someone doing it the 'old' way would need 4 harps.

Er...works for me on just one Paddy Richtered G harp...What key- change? Sounds like it could be a truck driver's key change to me. ;-)

Steve

If using the original key (Eb), the usual deal was to start with a Ab richter. Then the bridge was an Eb richter. Then the band may play a while and modulate up to E. This entailed a B richter for the head and an E richter for the last bridge. Now since most bands wanted to stay away from the key of B, they would use a different key.

I am not sure what key Charley McCoy does it in but I don't think he uses Eb. And YES, a paddy richter is perfect for doing this tune. It is very similar to a country or double country except has the added 3 hole note. I just never used a paddy tuning because I am used to my own.

But, YES, you are correct.

smo-joe