Re: [Harp-L] re: so you want to be a harp player

On Jul 15, 2007, at 10:53 AM, rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

You can go a long way playing harp without buying 12 different harps and a chromo.

You can't see my face as I sit here grinning and chuckling, but you are absolutely right. There are a couple reasons why I mentioned a 'full set'. Now, I know there are those on the list that find my postings to be tedious but let me explain my position. And remember, It's only my opinion.

It had long been established that a full set is advantagious. Well, maybe to some people. Not everyone can play in all the keys on a single harp (like Rubin), nor play in the key of H. Sooo, let's see, what if you have a band that's changing the key of a tune that you do to a different key. If you're limited (like me), you need to change harps.

Or, what if you are doing a pop number and there is a spot or are spots that call for a change of key that necessitates a different harp. Let's take the 'Fleetwood's: (NOT Fleetwood Mac) tune called 'Tragedy'. You are sailing along on a Db harp played in second position (Ab) and then when you get to the bridge, the first part is played in Db STRAIGHT and the second part is E STRAIGHT. It's ONLY 5 notes on that second part but you GOTTA have those notes. They MAKE the tune. If you can't do those critical notes, don't play the tune.

Extrapolate that to hundreds of tunes and you get a better picture. Having a band (or singer) changing the keys all the time quickly eats up various keyed harps. Example: We have this guitar player who is 80" tall and around 20 stone. For all his 'Lurchness', he has a high voice and does Kansas City in C. Now if I use a regular F, it's too 'pinchy'. If I use a low F, It doesn't carry. Soo, I will choose another position. A-haaaaa, another harp. (btw, I have NEVER had a good F harp).

Another example 'Londonderry Aire' (aka Danny Boy). It was a long time practice in the country western field to use FOUR harps for this tune. One for the head, one for the bridge, modulate up a semi one and a third for the head and the fourth for the finale. I have always used just TWO harps for this tune even with a key change, BUT someone doing it the 'old' way would need 4 harps. Depending on what keys are used for what tunes, it's easy to see that over the course of an evening, it isn't too far fetched to go through 8 harps pretty quick. Ergo: since we already need 2/3 of a set, why not get the whole set? :) Sure, the ones on the ends will be lonely, but it's insurance.

I use 3 harps for 99% of my live band work, an A, C, and D.

I use 3 harps for 67% of the stuff I do. Another 2 harps for 30% and an additional harp for the last 9%. HEY, wait a minute Jo-Jo, that's 106%. That can't be. Yes it can, as I already mentioned, there will be times when all you need are 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 notes from ANOTHER harp to do the tune correctly. So, in effect, you will get some overlap where you need that little additional harp.

We do a couple songs where I need an F and once in awhile a G.

Ok, so that's 5 (so far). Figuring a key change here and there could add a harp on the bottom and top ends. Now inasmuch as 7 harps is going right back to that 2/3rds I was talking about earlier, I don't think it's too reachey to cover one's fern and get the set. So much for the set explanation.

That's four sets with the harp in 90% of the songs. I do some one finger organ work when it comes time to play the surf stuff, and when the band does the Drifters, I just sit out a song or two.

If you used my tuning, you could do the Drifter's stuff (and most of the Coasters). Under the Boardwalk, Up on the Roof, When my Little Girl is Smiling. ALL can be done easily with a smokey tuned harp (aka 'double country').

As for the chromatic, there are those who can play all the keys on them. I can 'ear' about 5 keys. Then I need the chart. Totally different animal.

smokey-joe

Play with Neanderthals. It's cheaper. Play for drunks. They don't care.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm