[Harp-L] You wanna play harp?

So...you wanna play harp eh. Lotsa luck

Listed below will be several things to consider when thinking of playing harp. They are not necessarily in order of importance because I'm just going to let it roll.

One thing to consider is: "Where do I sit on the lunch box or food chain of harp"? Am I:
1.. a harmonica owner? A harmonica owner is one who buys a harmonica, toodles around a little bit and then relegates the poor lonely little 'krome klondike' to a drawer.

2.. A beginner? A beginner is one who is actually spending some semblance of time in an effort to play. Their progress may be hampered somewhat by their ability or inability OR it may just be a matter of only having been at it for a short time. They may be able to swawk out a semi recognizable tune or two.

3.. A novice? A novice is one who is able to get some pretty sounds and possibly tunes out of the 'Tin Tootsie Roll'. To the point that an impromptu 'Happy Birthday' played at a party won't bring too much pie throwing.

4.. An intermediate? An intermediate is at the point where they might go from gussing to the bravery of trying an open mike stint. Some mistakes are evident but not enough to ruin everyone's fun. There might even be clapping. You WISH.

5.. Advanced? Advanced means that you may be able to pull sunshine out of your anus and do an evening slot at a harmonica festival. You have now arrived at the point where playing with a band is not out of the question.

6.. Expert? You don't make many mistakes, you do some fast +/or difficult stuff and have enough 'snowjoberol' to pull it off.

7.. Professional? You are good enough to get paid...regularly

8.. Master? You are one of the 2 dozen or so getting the commercials, jingles, movie sound tracks, and sitting in on other people's records.

9.. Virtuoso? You are one of a half dozen who can write your own ticket.

Then ask yourself: What do I expect from the harmonica and Where do I want to go with it.

How about budget? If you are in the lower branches of the salad tree, buying expensive harps doesn't make much sense, BUT, I WOULD suggest this: Always get harps that are 1 eschelon above your position on the ladder. Leave some room for advancement. Playing a harp that's lousier than YOU is a drag and will bring dis-allusionment.

Just tossing some figures out on the table and seeing what they do, if you make (say) $41,895.84 per year, and allowing 1 per cent for harmonicas, we come up with $418.96. That's $139.65 for a chromo (we only need one...for now), and 12 (min) diatonics at $23.27 each.

Now it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that if you only make $27,930.56, you are POOR and have to adjust accordingly. $93.10 for a chromo, and 12 (min) diatonics at $15.51 each.

Now naturally, we don't blow harps out all the time..(DO we?) But , we can see that what with buying food, making mortgage & car payments, utilities, insurances, taxes, clothing, medical, gasoline, etc. we can't spend ALL our money on harps.

As to whether a harmonica is worth the price. It's only worth the price IF we can afford it. It's worth the price if we love to play enough to adjust somewhere else. Can our playing amortise (justify) the expense? Some (like me) use harp for therapeutic purposes. Mental health, so to speak. There was a time when (in the words of Jerry Adler) I lived hand to mouth. Lived from pay day to pay day. Since I was paid every other week or every fortnight, I was oft to say: " I'm Only 13 days away from being homeless".

Now, I can get whatever I want. And remember, most harmonicas today are beyond the capabilities of the players.

smokey joe said it