Re: [Harp-L] Recorders

Hi Timm -

I have a Sony HiMD recorder and it does a good job, but can be difficult to use in some respects (the user interface and metering is pretty terrible). But more importantly, I would question whether or not there is much of a future in this format when compared with the ever cheaper flash memory prices. Uploading from HiMD to computer, which requires proprietary software, is a painfully slow operation compared with flash, and you can always transfer from flash to very inexpensive media such as CD, DVD, or hard disk for long term storage.

In my case, since most of the audio I record with the minidisc needs at least some editing, once I've moved it to hard disk or CD, I rarely go back to the master. So if the master were another form of reusable media such as flash, it would be no big deal. Flash memory recorders also have way fewer moving parts, which means it's less likely they will wear out with heavy use.

Harmonica content: one nice thing about HiMD, when recording at intermediate speed, which still sounds darn good, you could, for instance, record an entire week of SPAH sessions on a single disk (well, assuming you don't need to record more than 34 hours of it). My how things have changed....

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com

Timm Goodrich wrote:
The Minidisc MZ-M200 looks pretty cool. As I have old minidisc field
recordings that I want to upload unrestricted and this player can do that.
A HiMD 1 gig disc is about $7.00 much cheaper than a flash card. This might
be my best choice for a "field recorder", length of record time + cheap
memory.
I need help...from this wounderful list. I have checked the archives and
nothing about minidisc, is it.... dead? Am I throwing away money?
>From the Rapids
Timm Goodrich
For all of those going to Augusta Blues week I wish you the best.