Re: [Harp-L] re; godd or bad haprs?

Harpo Mark said:

Is it me  just blowing too hard on 'em. Should new harps last more than

just a  few songs?

I guess most harp players experience this from time to time. When I was on
the road full time, I'd buy a dozen harps at a time, in each key, direct  from
Hohner. I'd throw out one or two every night!  There is NO WAY I could  afford
that now....

If you are playing hard and with passion, the harps will probably blow  out
very quickly. They are certainly likely to become full of moisture and  "choke
up", but after they dry out again they will probably be ok.... Some  people
say you should "break" the harps in gently, then they will last longer. I  just
don't know.

I guess it is just one of the problems of playing harmonica. I find
chromatics last much longer than diatonics do... Perhaps because of the  wind savers?
(Valves)... If you use too much air, chromatics  just choke up. But short
harps just play louder.

However, if you are playing amplified, just let the amp do the work! Don't
use so much air.

Some years ago, the great Douglas Tate taught me to use what he called
"resonance" to maximise volume. I now do this, and it cuts down A LOT on  harmonica
wear and tear.

I'm sure Doug talked about this on Harp-L.

I play LOUD most all the time, & that blows out the reeds very  quickly.

When I play softer, the harps last a lot longer.

Of course, if you are in a band with guitarists playing through several 200
watt Marshall amps with pairs of 4 x 12"  stack cabs...It is hard  to be heard
AT ALL playing harmonica!
(I've been there!)

Best wishes,

John Walden