Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Re: Highbury Pub

Message: 6
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 02:28:48 -0400
From: Joe and Cass  Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Re: Highbury  Pub
To: EGS1217@xxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

On Jul 5, 2007, at 4:57 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx  wrote:

> No need for you to apologize at all, Michael.  Your and  PT's
> listings  were
> accurate.  My curiosity was  of the gig list mentioning several
> people  as
>  playing that night at somewhere called the Highway instead, clearly
> an  error.

No, it IS a highway. The Highbury is down the  highway. (I forget the
route number)

>  I looked it  up on their website too...it's listed as PUB and been
>  written
> up in the local Minneapolis papers with that designation as  well
> as  Lounge, as
> well as simply The Highbury.  Anyone disputing that info merely  has
> to check
> the  following link:

........Now I clearly erred in describing it as written up in the
"Minneapolis" papers.  For some reason I constantly mix up Minneapolis and  Milwaukee.
Have no idea why.  Proves that even the most meticulous of  us spellers can
still make mistakes (and 'fess up to them) <G>

> _Click here: The Highbury Pub -  Milwaukeeâs Premier  Soccer
> Establishment_

The Brewer's are a soccer  team?

The owner plays for a local soccer team...there are a lot of Milwaukee
soccer players/music fans, so he started this place.  Hey...50 - 70  different
kinds of beer to choose from can't be bad from a harp player's  point of
view...They have hard cider too...and wine for the ladies (like me)  <G>

> (http://www.thehighbury.com/)    Sounds like a fun  place  to hang
> out for an
> evening, especially for a  Brit like me.

How do they feel about spaghetti benders (like me)?

...ahhh, okay...I'll put in a good word...they'll let both you and Jason in
if they can stamp your hand, and maybe if I curtsy.

> John is, as  usual, being a bit too literal in his corrections.
>  We've  had
> several such discussions on Slidemeister before.   The street name
> is  also
> misspelled from his  checking of the website, so here is the final
>  correct
> information:
>
> The Highbury Pub is at 2322 South  KinnicKinnic Avenue,

KinnicKinnic KinnackKinnack PaddyPaddy  WhackWhack.

...Give the dog a bone, this old man came rolling home?

> Bay  View, Wisconsin
> (corner of Lincoln and KinnicKinnic), Phone 414-294-4400  (from
> their  website).
>  Anyone planning to  attend might want to do a mapquest from the
> Hotel  and
> remember to bring it from home (last time I forgot our  map
> instructions in NY
> so we got to the blow-off  quite late - a comedy of  errors), or get
> accurate
>  directions from the Hotel Staff upon arrival.   Start time to be
> announced
> later, or keep checking the website.

I did a  Google Earth and it appears to be 11.25 miles south east of
the  hotel.

...a reasonably short cab ride, or for those with rental cars with room,  try
to let folks know how many you can fit, early enough to gather in the Lobby
to get there on time. This time I'll make sure I bring extra mapquest
directions to distribute to those who want them.

> Personally,  I do enjoy SPAH, but Jason Ricci's Harp  Blow-Off on
> the Tuesday
> night  is such an  incredible evening  of camaraderie and the perfect
> lead-in...SPAH  wouldn't be remotely  close to as much fun for me if
> he  didn't plan
> this as an Annual Event....and all  on his own  dime.

I love roaming the crowd and checking the looks on the faces as  these
'honchos of the harp' do their stuff. The smile on Joe Filisko's  &
Buzz Krantz's faces are worth the trip.

...Ab-so-LUTE-ly...

> I thank him from the bottom
> of my  heart for such  a fabulous experience.

You said it girl. I had been  to blow offs in past years, but there's
a different magnetism lately.  I felt alive.

...I didn't mention a ton of other players, but everyone was so "on" last
year.

> I do love that "Sir Jason of the Caffeine Ricci".  Had  me
> RotflmNYao.  <G>
> SO accurate. What  would that boy ever have  done without the
> discovery  of
> caffeine?  Can't wait for the blow-off,  now that it's  coming
> together.  Last
> year's was phenomenal - what  a  brilliant evening...in no small
> part due to your
>  delicious saxophone  playing.  Jason's always one to surprise  us,
> and I expect
> nothing less this  year  ;)

Yes, Mike Peloquin was quite a surprise (to me). I knew he could  play
harp, but the sax part took me off guard. He did a King Curtis  number
(Soul Serenade) BETTER than King Curtis. I thought I was  listening to
an old Coasters album.

....I'm especially fond of Saxophonists...Michael blew ME away, being
equally good on both axes...you should check out his myspace site, he also sings
great - some nice stuff there.

> To quote PT:  Be there or be  rectangular, lol.

Whose P.T.?
smokey-joe

 ... As if you didn't know...ONLY the guy who was waiting to go on  after you
at Buckeye, THIS, PT Gazell..

_Click here: YouTube -  PT Gazell Harmonica verson of "The Thumb"_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KsYa5gOdT0)

you kidder, you. <VBG>

Elizabeth