[Harp-L] Temptation

Hey Gang,

I've been fooling around with a great Tom Waits
tune called "Temptation". The versin I have is from
Diana Krall, and I totally adore it.

Once I got the structure of the recording (in Cm) I
transposed it to Am so I could easily play it on my
guitar (I'm a poor guitarist at best) and accompany
myself with racked harp and vocals.

Now, I don't have Diana's dripping, delicious,
jazzy phrasing, and the song has taken on decidely
Mojo Red overtones (ie, doofusy), but I must say;
my little arrangement has brought me hours of fun
as I've investigated various grooves.

I'll open with a harp/guitar intro (emulating the
melody); then sing a couple of verse/choruses; then
solo over an Am/E7 vamp until I'm out of things to
say on harp (3rd position on a G harp); then I'll
sing a couple more verse/choruses and finally,
finish with my little outro.

I'm loving this song for its decidedly un-bluesy
(yet terribly bluesy) structure. What a great way
to stray from the old I-IV-V without straying too
far from the old I-IV-V. Tom Waits. Gotta love the
guy. Great lyrics, great feel. Awesome to lay harp
over this song.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail