Re: [Harp-L] Vendor Fees at SPAH

On Jul 4, 2007, at 4:17 PM, Tom Baehr wrote:

Unless there is a selection process, comped/free vending space would be a nightmare.

Do you mean logistically Thomas? Why a nightmare? Aren't there people who comprise work schedules which involve a multitude of people working different shifts and yet, they are shuffled so that everything works? Aren't there people who make out train bus and plane schedules which are tantamount to a nightmare of planning? Aren't there people who put together high school basketball schedules. It takes a planner.

As for a selection process, Yes. First come, first served, and it has to be harmonica related. As to how deeply related, that's up to the panel to decide. The criteria would be something like (but not limited TO): How does this benefit the harmonica player? Not spah, not the manufacturers, the membership and all other harmonica players. Not guitar players, not dulcimer players. The membership.

Vendors expect to be charged a table fee; it's part of the price of doing business. At our event (Cranberry Dulcimer & Autoharp Gathering, cranberrydulcimer.com), the only free space is for workshop leaders, and they only get about 18 inches of front space. This is a smaller event than SPAH, but everyone else who vends buys table space, $70 per table with a two table limit.

Ok, see already you have given a more apt fee. The fee YOU speak of could be considered a 'token' fee and only necessary to weed out those who aren't as serious about vending.

If we, or SPAH, were to give away space, everyone with some sort of harebrained item would be vying for space with vendors who rely on their tables of a living, or a substantial part of their gross income. I don't think that's fair.

I don't think it's fair to give space to people with hair brained ideas either, but then hair brained ideas have to go through the panel. Your reasoning assumes that no one will monitor this.

smo-joe