Re: [Harp-L] SPAH money maker continued

On Jul 4, 2007, at 12:13 PM, Winslow Yerxa wrote:

SPAH is not some greedy cash monster

Their finances were hit pretty
hard in the last ten years, partly as the result of a nuisance lawsuit
that was finally thrown out of court.

Usually when someone wins a case, the person bringing the 'vexatious suit' pays the costs. Apparently, spah did not win, but the case was Nolle Prossed. In other words, in a civil suit, 'some' culpability WAS shown and even though ever so small, ANY amount is enough to affect the case. Spah obviously had lousy attorneys. This isn't the membership'
s fault.
None of this involved the current admin (Stryker.Eck.Davies), NOR the previous admin (Tate.Davies). It goes back way farther.

Nobody's getting rich or even, as
far as I know, drawing a salary. It's a volunteer organization that
puts on an annual (inter)national event, puts out a newsletter, and
keeps this list afloat financially.

Not only is no one getting rich, it actually COSTS the admin out of their own pockets. But then, it costs all the members also, and all the guests also. As for the performers, some get comped, some don't. Some are paid, some aren't, some get perks, some don't.

Sponsor fees are one way to do
that. I do agree with you that there should be a way for small
harmonica-related vendors to participate without paying such large
fees. It certainly has been possible in the past.

Winslow
--- Matt Smart <matthewsmart@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Oh and by the way,  I know there are other quality mike makers, amp
makers,
harp customizers and harp vendors out there. I did not exclude
anyone's name
on purpose.  I just named a couple of examples off the top of my head
make a point.  Don't mean to offend anyone with my post.  Thanks