Re: [Harp-L] Plagiarism According to Muddy Waters and Jonathan Lethem

I think the issue here is Variations on a Theme.

Classical musians used to take a famous musical theme and write variations,
musical decorations, or an improvisation on the basic form. This was considered
high art. The musician who could sit down at the keyboard and play variations
on a theme by Bach (or whoever) off the top of his head was considered a true
virtuoso. Some of these variations were printed up.

They key to these improvisations or variations was that while they were
recognizable as coming from the theme by Bach they were also recognized as a new
work of art.

Today's jazz (since its inception) that focuses on improvisation is
considered one of American's original art forms.

The difference between plagiarism and improvisation/variation is the
plagiarism is clearly identifiable as still (mostly) the original work -- not
something based on improvisation based on the chord changes.

So Muddy basically put new words to old wine.

The Harper's article (worth the read) deals almost exclusively with literary
influences and copying with very little to do with the blues. The difference
between most of the literary examples in the article is that they were
influenced by works but not DIRECT copies, as is the case in the blues tunes, and,
frequently, lyrics.

Somebody said were only about eight tunes for all blues. I believe it. But
what makes the blues so fascinating is that while the form is so limiting (like
a sonnet) you marvel at what can be done despite the limitations of the form.

Like I said in my PSA when I was a day sponsor for the WDET-Detroit public
radio more than a decade ago: "A day without the blues is like a day without
sunshine."

Phil Lloyd