[Harp-L] Re. Winslow's taking Dizzy to task on "property" and plagarism.

>How generous of Dizzy - with someone else's property.

>True, Bird and Diz were friends and co-creators of a musical style. And
>Dizzy was a man who actively cultivated peace and higher understanding.
>But would Diz have been quite so sanguine if someone else were raking
>in the bucks and fame by duplicating Diz's solos note for note,
>especially  while giving no credit to the source?

Last time I"ll post on this thread, promise.

Well, as highly regarded as Winslow clearly deserves to be, I think that
putting Dizzy in his place (as the above Winslow quote seems to be trying to
do ) is just a tad overreaching, on Mr. Yerxa's part. As my mother used to
say in response to patently absurd statements and stances...."well, I'lllll
swan!"

When W.Y. becomes co-creator of an internationally influential genre,
approaching the scale of the one originated by Diz and Bird, I will
personally provide a leg for him to stand on and pronounce.

Dizzy's quote was a comment on a player's LIVE simulacra of C.Parker - not
recorded "property". The notion of a note for note quote of a solo,
preformed live, requiring footnotes and/or attribution is academic (and I
should know as I am an academic) to the extreme - and begs the question of
property rights to the point of threadbare absurdity.

I think I'll give Mr. Gillespie the last (well worth repeating) word on the
subject.

"You can't steal a gift." Dizzy Gillespie, defending another player
who'd been accused of poaching Charlie Parker's style: "You can't
steal a gift. Bird gave the world his music, and if you can hear it
you can have it.''

Peace, Love and Sloppy Kisses to all Genres and Genders

Roger Wade-into-the-fray Boyce