Re: [Harp-L] plag(i)arism

1 & 2 are true-I was there.
As for 3, no one can say how many in the audience would have known the solos
were taken from elsewhere. I believe few if any were wise to the heist.
As for 4, you can change "probably" to " perhaps" if you like but I believe
that was the motive.
When people pay tribute, they usually say so. You could argue with that, and
this Harp-L, after all, where anything that can be agued over will be.

In academia, people get fired for plagarism, to me at least so there is an
issue of honesty here.

-Glenn

Hi Glenn

I think you've raised a valid point and Rupert was brilliant to summarize it.

I deeply respect your sense of justice.

I just think we must be careful on item #4, in which we're judging
that person. We don't know his/her intention.

One thing is being able to reproduce perfectly a famous solo note by
note (and this demands dedication to the instrument). Some people can
be proud of such thing, and as someone said before, inserting a whole
solo of someone else in a performance may be bad taste, or may be a
tribute of some sort, even if it's not explicitly declared.

Another thing is to make money using someone else's creation without
any citation or authorization, and this is a crime, I think.

Very interesting discussion and subject, by the way ;-)

best regards

Kenji
Listen to http://brazilharp.blogspot.com/