Re: [Harp-L] Professionals vs.,,,

On Jul 1, 2007, at 10:59 PM, Bob Laughlin wrote:

Can the professional musician retain not only his integrity, but also his zeal, his love for music?

Yes

At what point does it just become "work", and not fun anymore?

At what ever point that happens. Not that it has to. Not that it does that often.

There's a certain joy to playing that I'm not certain I want to compromise for the sake of financial gain.

That's pre-supposing that one has to do that.

Maybe not all have that choice to make. In some cases, I'm sure that necessity is the "mother of invention".

And sometimes we engage in "making a virtue of necessity".

Do professionals really still enjoy doing it?

Yes.

Not all maybe. All the ones I know.

Or does it just become an endless "gig"?

Hard work and joy are not necessarily antonyms.

Is the thrill really gone?

Short answer: No.

Rex "T is for Tulare" Tobago