Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 47, Issue 1

Here's sumpin" that'll get some uproar. When I  play Cross Cut Saw, or Blues
with a feeling, or any of the other blues  standards, I do my own licks. I've
never ever tried to copy any of those tunes.  I haven't even
heard.........well yea I've heard 'em, but I just play what comes  in my head 'cause it feels
good. Magic Dick ruined my life.....He  He........really tho, I learned to play
all of his licks before I got to  Butterfield, or any of the other greats.
The way I figured it, Magic Dick and  Jimmy Hall (Wet Willie) already went to
school on those guys so I just learned  what they knew and rocked on. Their
licks were permanently etched in by brain  before I went back to Little Walter and
so on. I played along with some of Sonny  Terry, Brownie Magee's stuff about
a month ago for the first time. I have to  admit that some of it I couldn't
just play first time but in about 15 minutes I  could do all of those licks.
Maybe not the tone, but real close. I learned to  play without any amp straight
through the PA, and I feel like my tone is where I  want it to be anyway. On
the other hand I was in Maine a couple of weeks ago and  the young lady's father
I met was a huge J Geils freak. I had my bag 'o' harps  with me and jammed
along with Bloodshot and the Live album. In no shape or form  could I do House
Party, or First I look At The Purse or any of the other songs  on those albums
without copying Magic Dick. It's all in where you learn. I put  the licks to
Wammer Jammer (I've said before I know) in a Hank Williams Jr. song  because I
heard it in my head at practice one night and did it that way because  I
thought it sounded cool. It truly was a tribute to the master that I  learned from.
I didn't do it because I couldn't come up with my own licks  believe me. I've
written my own stuff and I'll play what I feel on it, (God if I  could just
get it clean enough to pass my own muster) but every once in a while  I'll do
somebody else's licks in my own song to pay tribute. It aint 'cause I  can't
improvise trust me. I don't have to prove anything to anybody, but I do  respect
everybody and the way they play. <Shrug> That shrug is a tribute  to Patrick
Krupa by the way.
          Find Dixie Dregs  album........cue Take It Off The
Top..........turn up way loud.........start  day.
                   Randy
       BiscuitBoy Blues

In a message dated 7/1/2007 1:58:53 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,