[Harp-L] Re: Sonny Terry style

I will be purchasing a camcorder and putting some things on my space or
whatever format soon. It should give a good indication of what will be going on
during the seminars. I break his style down in small pieces, it is impossible
to  try and teach a whole song, that is not the way to learn how to play
Sonny's  style. So many intricacies, start practicing bending all notes, hitting
notes  bent and holding them. One of his favorite sliding patterns was to hit 3
second bend, slide up to 3 first bend, then back to 3 second bend in split
second. You can make infinite phrases off one starting lick. Unteaching your
brain to play the same thing it wants to, or being stuck in your own patterns,
is part of learning new things. Dave Barrett was instrumental in having me
focus  on exactly what I was doing, it has pushed me farther than I could have
gone  myself over the past few years.