Re: [Harp-L] Changing the Way You Hold the Harp

I started playing with my right hand many years ago, because I never watched anyone play and didn't know any better. It seemed natural. It seemed natural for years until I finally watched a real harp player using the left hand. I immediately decided I had to switch, and have spend the last several years trying to get used to the left hand grip. To be honest, I don't think it matters too much which hand holds the harp. I found that I could get better shakes using my right hand. When holding with the left hand, I need to use my head instead, because my left hand is too uncoordinated. I'm still using my left because it seems to be the accepted way, but both work for me.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick In Davis" <rickindavis@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 4:02 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Changing the Way You Hold the Harp

I've held the 10-hole harp the same way since I started playing more than 30 years ago, sandwiched between the thumb and forefinger of my left hand. My right hand cups behind the harp and mic. I'm thinking of changing the way I hold the harp because of an emerging nerve condition in my left thumb. (Getting old is a drag.)

Have any of you ever changed your basic grip on the harp
after playing for several years?  Have you changed your grip
from one hand to the other?  Do most right-handed players
(like me) hold the harp with their left hand?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

-Rick