Re: [Harp-L] Amp modeler (was Roland MicroCube Amp)

Captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:

<In a message dated 1/29/2007 8:08:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, <richard hunter writes:
<
<<If you already own an amp of some sort, you might consider an amp <<modeler like a POD or Digitech RP... snip....But you need an amp to <<use them -- the amp modelers don't have a built-in amplifier or <<speaker, just tone modification circuitry.

<Richard, perhaps i'm missing something (again). Do u not usually use <your Digitech RP200 amp modeler directly thru the PA, and not thru an <amp?

A PA is a "public address" system that includes an amp and speakers. The amp in this case is designed to reproduce whatever's fed into it with minimal coloration, but it's an amp nonetheless. The amp I use with my RP200 when I'm not plugging into a PA system is the Peavey KB/A 100, a 60 watt keyboard amp that's essentially a self-contained PA amp and speaker; it even includes a lo-Z XLR connector with a mic preamp. The Peavey is also designed to reproduce whatever's fed into it with minimal coloration.

Most guitar amps, especially tube amps, add a lot more coloration than that to the signal, and I don't recommend using them with amp modeling pedals. There are exceptions. Tech 21 makes a box that basically just consists of a 60-watt power circuit and a pair of speakers; it's designed to add volume to whatever tone you're already producing with another amp, and it would probably work fine with an amp modeler. But that's the exception, not the rule.

The main point of my comment is that if you take an amp modeler and plug your mic into it, but don't have anything on hand to amplify the signal, you're not going to hear anything at all. You need something to actually amplify what the amp modeler is putting out, just as you need something to amplify the signal from your CD player if you actually want to listen to a CD.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
Latest mp3s always at http://www.broadjam.com/rhunter