[Harp-L] Not so standard harmonica songs

Little Wing got me thinking...Here are a few of my
favorite tunes we've been covering that aren't you
typical harmonica or blues songs.  I know some of you
never play any harp specific songs, but I thought it
would be cool to read what "pop" tunes you guys have
been doing (there  might be some jazz on this list
too).  Here is my partial list.

Whippin' Post by the Allman Bros.

I play the second guitar part during the intro.  Then
I play the organ riff during the chorus.  The harp and
guitar play in tandem out of the second solo together.
 We also play the outro together.  Not very hard on a
G harp.

Layla by Derek and the Dominoes

I've soloed during the main section of the song.  I've
done the outro too, but I couldn't get comfortable
with it.  I think I was playing it mostly in 4th.

Sunshine of Your Love by Cream

Besides a solo, I try to follow the main theme across
keys.  Tough overblows!

Simple Man by Skynrd

11th position

Milestons by Miles Davis

I end up using a Bb harp in 4th an switching some to
3rd on a low F harp.

That's about all the bar rock we do (well Miles is
definelty not bar rock).  I think having the harp out
in front on those songs makes them a lot more
bearable.  I am only really fond of Whippin' Post.  I
wish all bands could be equally successful playing
what they want to play as what other want them to
play.

Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica

http://www.myspace.com/mikefugazzi
http://www.niterail.com

"Capitalize on your own strengths; develop your own style.
The world needs another harp player doing Little Walter licks
as much as it needs another Elvis impersonator."
-Paul deLay

The fish are biting.