Re: [Harp-L] Re: 59 bassman pedal

SONNYTONE@xxxxxxx wrote:
<I heard about them, and will certainly try it out, but I doubt it will <be like the real thing, nothing likes speakers blowing their wall of <sound.

I doubt it'll sound just like the real thing either, but that's not the most important question. The real question is: will it sound good?
A piece of gear is a good piece of gear if it makes a sound that inspires you.

If you can get a box for $100 that makes a sound that inspires you, that's a good deal, whether or not it sounds exactly like anything else.

If the only sound that inspires you is the sound of a '59 Bassman, by all means get a '59 Bassman. But when I audition the bassman pedal in a store, I'm not going to be comparing it side by side with the real thing. I'm just going to see whether I like the way the pedal sounds. By then I expect to have a Digitch RP350, and I might do a side by side to see whether there's enough difference between the Bassman amp model in the Digitech and the Boss version to make it worth buying both.

It's the golden age of gear. There are great high end choices, like a Sonny Jr. and great pedals at the low end. Either way, or both ways, you're getting good value for money. If you're looking for an investment that'll last a lifetime on stage and be just as valuable at the end as at the start, the Sonny Junior or the '59 bassman is the better choice, of course. The pedals do a great job for people who want something inexpensive that sounds good, and the Sonny Jrs. set the standard for "good" that everything else has to live up to.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
Latest mp3s always at http://www.broadjam.com/rhunter