Re: [Harp-L] Donald Black, Highlander extraordinaire

On 25/01/07, Steve Shaw <moorcot@xxxxxxx> wrote:

The other thing I wondered, almost certainly with vain hope, was whether Hohner have come out of the 19th century with their Echo Highlander and got rid of all those pesky nails. I'm fully expecting a diplomatic answer from Fernando. ;-)

Hi Winslow, hi Steve, hi Jim.

Yes, the idea was to keep it simple in first position, so that people might
play the songs they already know without having to think about positions at
first. And the chords are very nice, I do hope that this tuning comes in
handy for other traditions besides the Scottish.

Donald has been very enthusiastic and helpful during the preparation of
these harmonicas, and this is an experiment to see how far we can go with
specialized models. My aim was to respect the tradition and avoid clichés, I
am confident to have achieved that.

The nails are still there, Steve, but the covers are stainless steel, and we
worked with a different varnish system, which has proved to be quite
superior to the tradional black, and looks great in green to ;-)

Thanks for the interest and I am glad that the first reports have been
positive, by Donald and by other partners of ours.

All the best from non-celtic Brazil,
Fernando