Re: [Harp-L] Highlander tremolo harp

It's good for more than A mixolydian tunes. Second position will give
you E dorian tunes (The Warlock, Johnny Wilmot's Fiddle, Drowsy Maggie)
while third position will give you natural minor with a full B minor
chord (Sleepy Maggie, Elmer Briand's Favourite, Da Rain Dancin', can't
think of others right at the moment).

I notice that they left the D side of the harp alone. If they'd flatten
the Draw 3 and 7 on that side, too, then you could have E natural minor
in third position and A dorian in second. There is a huge number of A
dorian tunes at least in Scottish tradition. (And you could play blues
by playing the I chord in first position on the A side, then the IV
chord in first position onthe D side.)

Hmmm . . .

One thing about nails is that you can put them in places where screws
won't go. They're pesky for repairs but have that advantage for
assembly.

Winslow

I'm so used to playing "third position tunes" on standard harps. A Dorian on G harps, E Dorian on D harps (though not many of those), etc. Playing Dorian in second position would be yet another learning curve for this ageing untutored hairy-arse (sorry!! :-)). I wonder whether Donald will take full advantage of those possibilities you mention. Though I take all your points. Damn those nails though. I was just doing a minor tweak on my D/G Echo for the Burns Night gig tonight when I dropped one of the darn things on the carpet. Used my mini-metal detector to find it. OK, nail the reedplates on, but those cover plates are something else. Admit it. Heheh!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm