RE: Re: [Harp-L] re: Blues in Nurnburg

Well, being from Bavaria, I also want to contribute to this discussion: Ralf
is right - it is difficult to find real good Bavarian folk music in public
these days and Nurnberg is not an appropriate place for this at all. I am
saying this because I have played Bavarian folk music myself (the good stuff
;-)) in younger years. Smo-joe you have to understand: Despite your great
statement it is not easy from the viewpoint of somebody who grew up in
Germany: Some of the stuff called 'Volksmusik' also represented a very
conservative attitude to us when we were younger. And it is no better than
your so-called 'Hollywood America'. Thus we hated it. And turned to Blues,
Rock, Jazz etc.. But this is a longer thing to explain and would lead into
deeper sociological analysis of Germany's recent history. Now, if you want
to hear some really progressive Bavarian music with a humorous and political
background I'd recommend these URLs

http://www.biermoesl-blosn.de/mp3/muhlandler.mp3
http://www.biermoesl-blosn.de/mp3/bistaado.mp3
http://www.biermoesl-blosn.de/mp3/baywa.mp3

Back to  Nurnberg: There's an interesting thing to know about this region
(for who ever from this list will travel there): Middle-Frankonia is THE
region in Germany concerning instrument manufacturing. Names such as Hoefner
(http://www.hofner.com/ guitars, violins, celli...), Hanika (classical
guitars), Kühnl & Hoyer (brass instruments), Framus
(http://www.framus.de/guitars), Warwick (basses), K+M
(http://www.k-m.de/index.php?id=1&L=1&no_cache=1 music and mic stands and
hardware)... they are all in this wider area. The explanation for this high
concentration of mid-sized, family tradition instrument makers, plus their
suppliers is, that after WW II most of thes companies came over from Czechia
(Egerland - Eghaland, czech: Chebsko and Vogtland, which Ben already
mentioned) and settled there.

As far as I know Hoefner has guided tours but you should call and find out
when they are. Unfortunately I do not know of any harmonica factory (to add
some harp content to this contribution). Otherwise travelling to Klingenthal
as Ben advised, takes about 2.5 hours by car from Nurnberg, depending on
road conditions (winter).

Kind regards

Tom (Berne, Switzerland)