[Harp-L] Re: Little Wing on harmonica/American Idol

 "some retarded freak that could not play at all"

  I doubt the author of that phrase meant any harm and I know I am guilty of sometimes making word choices that are not always carefully selected.  So this is NOT a personal attack at anyone.  It's just an opportunity to make a plea to anyone who will listen.

  Please try to not say things that equate metal retardation with idiocy or freakishness and teach your children to not say things like that either.

  It's cruel to mentally retarded people and it is painful for family and friends of them to think that such cruelty will perpetuate.  I'll be thrilled the day my little boy makes ANY sound on a harmonica.  And that's not the worst of it-- I have a friend who would be happy if his teenage son could use the bathroom instead of his shorts, get dressed by himself or cross the street without danger.

  Call a center for mentally handicapped people in your local area and ask if you can play your harp for them.  Or box up a set of cheap harps and donate them to the center.

  Peace.

Larry C