To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <harptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:39 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Need a little advice

Hi fine people. I was wondering if anybody could answer a question for me
and if anyone has some advice concerning affordable studio mics. Firstly, who
played harp on Cream's Train Time? I heard it on the way home from Kentucky
Monday night and my Momma said she could remember me practicing to it back in
72 when I was 15. I never really learned all of it then but I sure picked up a
lot licks there. Also, have any of yall had any experience with the lower
priced studio condenser mics available these days? I'm gonna use an SM 58 with
amp modulations for the gritty blues/rock sound I'm looking for on those
songs but I really need a condenser for my vocals and for playing the really
clean stuff with cupping techniques and the like for the acoustic songs I'm gonna
do on my 9 string, one in particular. If I had my way I'd just get a Neuman
tube mic with the changeable mic caps and patterns but I can't afford that. I
have 48 volt phantom power on both of the digital recorders that I was given
for my project so that's not a concern. Should I go for a ribbon mic? What
pattern is best on a budget? Any advice appreciated. I'll need a few other
things later but this is my biggest hurdle right now. Here's a few things on my
needs list though.
Hammond B 3 with Leslie
Parker Night Fly guitar
Selmer tenor sax (with teeth to play it
with)
Yamaha CP 70 electric baby grand
Elka string machine
Clavanet (with somebody to channel Billy
Preston into my body for me)
Roland digital drum set (with extra
cymbals and tom toms)
Real guitar player for the Night Fly