[Harp-L] Re: Little Wing on harmonica

I've started learning "Little Wing" on XB.  As Chris has stated, this is NOT an easy song!  It
poses significant challenges, first in just getting the notes right, and then an even greater
challenge in conveying the appropriate mood and feeling.   The Mickey Raphael version that was
linked here certainly has my respect.   When Mickey had to choose between playing a wrong note and
not playing at all he made almost all the right choices. Although some of his choices were a
little too country-fied for my tastes, that allowed him to score even more points in the mood and
feeling department.

My main complaint with all the harp versions I've heard so far, is that if you removed the backing
instruments, I don't think you'd really recognize the song as "Little Wing".   Nobody seems to be
properly outlining the chords or properly stating the melody.   That's what I'm undertaking on the
XB (and "undertaking" is an apt description because I may be dead before I get this one right!)
I'm making progress on the notes - I've got the intro down as much as that is possible on the
harp. (And I don't think ANYBODY else has attempted that!)   But I've got a LONG way to go in the
mood and feeling department.

Maybe its time for "Harmonica Challenge" 2007?   (Remember the "Night in Tunisia" challenge a
while back?)