[Harp-L] Re: Personal Growth is as important as learning a new "lick"

In a message dated 1/23/2007 12:51:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  IcemanLE
writes:

        Thanx Iceman, you pretty much  hit the nail on the head. Anger at
myself,  jealous of somebody doing  what I have screwed up trying to achieve, and
compulsively thinking I have to  prove myself every where I go. Usually this
kind of revelation costs  me 100 bucks a session and I end up crying at some
point. How 'bout we  split it and I give ya 50? This list is great and I have
learned so much  about things I didn't even think were important and will
improve my playing  better than any tweeking of a harp will.
          Randy

commend Randy on his honesty and bravery for admitting a painful  reality.
Here is where real growth occurs.

This list has been a lot to a lot of people over the years, but
breakthroughs such as this can not be encouraged enough.

If I am reading this correctly, Randy was consumed by anger/jealosy and  a
compulsion to want to "smoke that dude" in a gunslinger's shoot-out in  order to
prove something to himself. However, a realization that this  direction is a
waste of personal time and power and is, in fact, immature,  is never too late
in coming.

It sounds as if Randy is pleased with his own personal revelations and  I
applaud him. Most likely, his own performance skills will find themselves
improving by themselves from this point onward.

The Iceman