Re: [Harp-L] Re: embossing

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 20:51:31 EST
From: Captron100@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: embossing
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

>  Any suggestions how to obtain such a thin shim as .001, other than
>buying another complete set of feeler gauges?  I already have 3 sets
>and none contain have such a critter.  tia.
>ron

Hi Ron,
  I've found McMaster & Carr http://www.mcmaster.com a very good source
of tools and materials.
  They sell 12" lengths of feeler stock in various sizes.  It's good to
have the extra lengths on hand with the thinner stuff because it gets
crumpled and tired after a lot of use. Also good if you want to share
some with other harp players learning to work on their own harps.  :)
I use 0.0015" 0.002" and 0.008" for clearing burrs between reed and slot,
and reed support.
 I've found cheap reading glasses in x2, x3 and x4 magnification
excellent for up close detail work - it makes a huge difference.  Both of
my work benches have office lamps with swivel head and movable armatures,
so I can position them exactly as I need to.  My reed work bench has a
bright white surface which helps a great deal when gapping, arcing and
drawing in the sides of reed slots to reduce tolerances.
  More here
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/harptechtips.html

Cheers,
-- G.