RE: [Harp-L] Re: embossing

Thin shim stock might be able to be purchased from a local machine shop that fabricates plasitic injection and blow molding tooling. It is also used by plastic injection molders to shim mold cavities into position in a mold base. I used to work in the mold room and we had sheets of .001 and even thinner, cut with sissors and place behind mold cavities and presto the halves fit tight again.

BW

From: Captron100@xxxxxxx
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: embossing Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 20:51:31 EST

In a message dated 1/21/2007 11:22:05 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, Rupert
Oysler writes:
For embossing plated reedplates like Seydel Favorite, Black  Favorite,
etc.,  I use .........snip.......... the thinnest gapping  shim from the
autoparts gapping stuff (like .001 or whatever it is) often  several times,

Thanks to Rupert for the embossing info which mentioned tools for use on
chrome plated reedplates.
I wonder why the word "plated" was used since the tools mentioned seem to
be the same tools and methods one would use for non-plated reedplates.
Comments?
Also......I am putting together a list of stuff i need to order from
Micromark for my harp tweaking efforts I plan to order the sanding wands #81471
and a magnifying light #80762 for my aging eyes. I will also add the sanding
paper #60471 that Rupert uses to free over-embossed reed slots.
Before i place my order, i am open to suggestions of any other indispensable
tools that i need from Micromark. I have a LO tuning kit and after all
these years, i finally ordered a reed replacement tool from Bill Rommel, but I
have yet to use it. I've been on the road, so to speak. I also have a small
hammer.
Any suggestions how to obtain such a thin shim as .001, other than buying
another complete set of feeler gauges? I already have 3 sets and none
contain have such a critter. tia.
ron