[Harp-L] Re: Lee Oskar Or Honher?

Ah, choosing among diatonic harmonica labels.   Which to play? It depends:

Tunings: Equal tuning versus Compromise tuning, Just tuning, etc.,  Do you play lots of chords or prefer single-note riffs?

Modifications: Various harps are assertedly more adaptable for overblows, special tunings, valving, reed replacements and other modifications/repairs.

Tone: some are brassier sounding, tinnier sounding, mellower sounding, louder, softer, etc.  (I say Oskars, indeed all the rest, are brighter and more metallic-sounding than SP20s, but I have a tin ear).  This also depends upon one's style and physical characteristics (mouth cavity, chest cavity, holding techniques, and breathing style, not to mention amps and mics), it seems live testing is the only answer to determine what sounds best for you.

 Volume: I still haven't found the volume knob on my damned harps.  SO I adjust my breathing and proximity to the microphone, or simply leave the drummer only brushes to play with.  The latter method requires a helmet and well-filled flask.

So once you've decided what factors are important, go and test them.  Most of the best players have a wide variety of harps in their rack to accommodate different applications.

-Dave Fertig