Re: [Harp-L] G.M. - skrews or nails

On Jan 22, 2007, at 10:32 AM, Jóhannes Jónsson wrote:

Dear Harp-L-ers

I´ve been taking apart about ten Golden Melody harps where the reedplates were fastened with nails. By replacing damaged reeds and using the least damaged combs I hope to make 5 good harps or even more. I´ve already succeeded with one and I fastened it back together with skrews by widening the holes and using skrews from other G.M.s. I´d like to ask however, if there are any arguments for the nails. It´s less convenient of course when it comes to maintainance but does it have any assets I might not know of?
Best regards,
JJBecher

The nails are, in actuality, something called drift pins. They work by friction 'jamming'. When they have to be replaced, you need to use a every so slightly BIGGER drift pin OR score the sides of the pins to give them grip. And, NO, they have no place in the 21st century. but are used for speed.

smo joe toldja