Re: [Harp-L] Turntable that transorms vinyl into MP3's

I'm no technical expert (so don't nitpick my choice of terms), but following is my approach to this topic:

I have transferred vinyl to CD by using purchased software called "Spin It Again". First, my turntable (and maybe all turntables) did not have a pre-amplifier so I purchased a pre-amp from Radio Shack. This was several years ago and as I recall the price was less than $20. I hooked the cable from the turntable into the pre-amp then ran a second cable from the pre-amp into the computer sound card. This second cable (reducer?) converted the two-line cable to a one-line cable for the computer hookup. Again, I purchased this cable several years ago and as I recall the price was less than $10.

When I purchased the pre-amp and cable, I was using Roxio Easy CD Creator to copy the vinyl, but never found this program to work very well. Probably due more to my lack of expertise than to the software (Also, Roxio did much more than convert vinyl to CD). So I eventually tabled the whole conversion project. Then I discovered the Spin It Again software that offered a free trial period. During the trial period I found it much easier and better than Roxio. It also converts tapes as well as vinyl. The purchase price was approx $30.

Since then, I have converted many vinyls to CD and am satisfied with the results. I plan to start converting tapes soon. If you only have a few vinyls/tapes to convert, this may not be cost effective. In my case I over 200.

Hope this may help.

James wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/21/business/yourmoney/21novel.html?ei=5070&en=ace64cb83a80916c&ex=1170046800&adxnnl=1&emc=eta1&adxnnlx=1169399859-3hllsPsMwdC176CyMm3M0Q

I am posting with the sole purpose of addressing all of those vinyl recordings that never made it to cd. Now, each of us on our own can preserve these sessions.
I can think of two in my own collection:

"Live At Mr. Kelly's" was released in CD. I have mine at home (now I'm at work), I'll check the label, date and other info for you.

BTW, many years ago I preserved my parents tango collection just with a stereo rca plug from the amplifier to a simple stereo plug into the sound card of my computer.

Fernando Toral