[Harp-L] Re: G.M. - skrews or nails

JJBecher wrote:

< I´ve been taking apart about ten Golden Melody harps where the
< reedplates were fastened with nails......... I´ve already succeeded
< with one and I fastened it back together with skrews by widening the
< holes and using skrews from other G.M.s.

<...... I´d like to ask however, if there are any arguments for the nails.>

There isn´t the least argument for nails. It´s the dinosaur method
used long decades ago. Firstly, the nails often damaged the chamber
ribs (leackage) and then, if you have removed the reedplates you
can´t use the very same nails but have to taken bigger ones ect.

I wonder where you got the screws from other GMs. Do you mean
the screws of the covers? Dear me, they are much too big. A size
of 1.6 -  1.8 mm is sufficient

Good luck!

Siegfried