[Harp-L] Re: Little Wing on harmonica

I just watched the Little Wing video.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I didn't like it.   After a rambling intro, he
played two notes of the melody and then immediately jumped up an octave to play the third note.
Why?   Was it because playing the next note would have required an overblow?   Or because he likes
the sound of that high blow bend?   Whatever the reason, in my opinion it was inappropriate to the
delicate melody of "Little Wing" as were all the Popperish speed licks that soon followed. (And
don't even get me started on the stage calisthenics.)

I will say that in my opinion Paul Butterfield didn't do a great job with "Little Wing" either,
the night Jimi sat in with his band. (You all have heard that recording right?)

I guess I'm still waiting to hear that song done right on harmonica.

Ok, let me go get my flame proof pajamas on . . .