[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 41, Issue 56

From: " <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxx" < <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
dmf273@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Blind Owl Tuning
<harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>*Although "On the Road Again" is the best known example
of Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson's special
tuning, he actually recorded the tuning several times.   My other favorite
example is in the "Five
Owls" section of "Parthenogenesis" where about 2/3 of the way into the song
"That Note" wails
dramatically.   And if memory serves, he uses the same harp on "Nine Below
Zero" and "TV Mama",
both available on the "Uncanned" box set.
*
"Five Owls" rocks! It's one of my favorite Blind Owl numbers, and is, I
think, noteworthy as an example of multiple harmonicas appearing in a highly
organized fashion. To my knowledge this has not often been done in blues.
You have albums like "Harp Attack!", which featured Carey Bell, Billy
Branch, James Cotton, and Jr. Wells, but they did not create particularly
organized arrangements for the different harmonicas. Indeed, I believe that
"Five Owls" may be totally unique in the blues and blues-rock categories.
(It features four harmonicas and rhythm guitar from Wilson, thus you have
"Five Owls".)

Rebecca Davis Winters
http://blindowl.informe.com
http://myspace.com/blindowlwilson