[Harp-L] Letter to Jason

Jason,

You clued me in to Paul Linden on harp-l.  Thanks for that.  I also had the opportunity to listen to some samples of you and your band's extremely tasty music and in the process of buying your latest album.  Man, I just got a couple things to say.

First...I have been quietly messing around on the harp for years  and consider myself (but will popping a tune on Garageband...with a pianist and guitarist,,,and some percussion via synth)

Anyway, I joined harp-l like a month ago..didn't even know about  before then.  Soon the  debate which ultimately mushroomed out control came to be.  I knew the outcome would be inevitable and it was.  I privately predicted you would not be showing up anymore in the forums and it looks like that's what you said.

The greatest impact of you not coming around  anymore and contributing will be the loss to the novice musicians, the aspiring musicians, the harp lovers.  The people like me who suck in, like sponges,  every word of which comes from people of your caliber. {and the Madcats and the Hunters too name a few}

It's human nature to emulate people who top in their field.  Kids do it with professional athletes all the time.  Think about Kareem Abdul Jabbar's sky-hook.  Think about Willie Mays' basket catch.

XM attracted countless numbers of Bob Dylan fans in their 50's and 60's because they still hang on every word their idol says-hoping to gleam even a snippet of whatever their heart needs.

As I evolve in my ability and tastes, it is your style which is quickly becoming one I try to emulate. Right now,  It is your tone I want to try and have. Yeah, I know all about the importance of one developing his/her own signature style, but any true musician who says they were never inspired by the style of others is simply clueless, in my opinion.

  It has been written as you know, that you and Dennis G. are the two most important harp players of this generation.  You know what....After hearing you guys, I personally tend to agree.

If you do indeed keep quiet because of the harp-l debate, then it will be through your music, Jason, that people like me will continue to take what need.

 I just count myself  pretty lucky, I guess,  since it was through harp-l that I heard about you.  If I joined next month instead of last month, perhaps Jason Ricci and the New Bloods would never have made it in my CD collection.

Finally, to fellow harp-l subscribers:  {and I say this with no malice intended toward any individual}  Let's try and remember it was our love of the harmonica that first led us here.  Any contributions from the most highly talented  and well-known musicians to these archives should be viewed of as a bonus  and a rare one at that.  I can't think of too many other  instruments where its "masters" come and add commentary with the frequency we are privy to here.

Rob

Be a PS3 game guru.