Re: [Harp-L] Richard Hunter's suggested Labtec AM-22 mic

Captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:
<Richard, i made a note to buy re the inexpensive Labtec AM-22 mic u've
<mentioned many times on Harp-L.  I need to order something else from  ebay and want
<to add this mic to my order, but from the descriptions i've been  reading, it
<doesn't sound like the proper AM-22. This one is described is  called a
<cassette mic.  I don't think it comes with an on/off switch, yet  at other websites
<I've read that the AM22 has the switch.  Elsewhere i've  read of a full
<size AM22 with switch, and it looks different.  The mic is  $4 but they want $10
<for handling.

Labtec made at least two very different models called the AM-22.  The one you want is light-gray plastic, about the length of a regular "stick" vocal mic, with slots cut into the sides of the head.  It is indeed designed as a cassette mic, and it does have an on-off switch.

I can't use the URL you provided, but the description above should allow you to find the right model.

Warning: this mic is not designed for stage use.  In my experience its build quality ranges from fair to poor, and its useful life tends to be short.  I buy them in lots of four, which tends to cut the shipping cost per mic.  Several dealers carry them on eBay, so shop around.

Because of the generally inadequate build quality, I am actively searching now for a mic with similar sonic characteristics and higher overall quality to use with my digitech RP200.  One list member suggested the Calrad DM-9 to me, and I bought one recently but have not tested it thoroughly.   I'll report when I have done so.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
Latest MP3s alway at http://www.broadjam.com/rhunter