[Harp-L] Musician`s Union

Hi Guys,

I joined the UK union a while back as it was a requirement for working at the BBC. I have stayed a member ever since as there are many benefits like public liability insurance and instrument insurance for example.

More recently with the security hassle so many musos have with taking instruments onboard aircraft, the UK MU has worked out an agreement with the UK government so that there is special dispensation and peace of mind for the security men at airports. The Union has issued all members with an official Department of Trade document saying it is OK provided the membership card is shown at the same time. I know from my trips to the US for example, that a case of harps gets these guys very twitchy when it goes through the X Ray machines because it resembles pistol cartridges on screen. Having the bone fide documents with you is a great help, especially if security want you to put your kit in the baggage hold..!! I always take mine as hand luggage in the cabin and this is allowed now in addition to the regular bag you are allowed.

Richard Smith (the English one)