[Harp-L] Harmonica and Musicians Union

Speaking for the US and Canadian Musicians:

If you play UNION gigs ie: Weddings or Corporate events in Unionized halls, Orchestral, Broadway or National Recording work you almost have to join your local American Federation of Musicians.
They will protect you and ensure you get Royalties and Residuals from Live & Recording dates likes TV, Movies and Artist Session. They also will provide Medical Benefits and a GREAT pension plan, The Musicians Pension in our 802 Local in NY is one of the best in the country.

I belong to the NY Local 802....it's easy to join, you pay an initiation fee and thereafter yearly dues (in NY $203 per yr) then when you pick up recording checks or checks for live gigs they take out work dues which go to your pension and welfare acct's.

If you are strictly playing in local clubs you probably don't need to join.... I know many Full Time & Part Time cats that never joined and they work alot, but they'll be no PENSION waiting for them down the road. Some of the "Hay-Day" session players from LA & NY they started back in the 60's did quite well and today are still doin' gigs and at age 55 took a NICE EARLY pension ranging from $3,000 to $15,000 per month the longer you leave it in the more you get obviously. But they did non-stop work for about 30 yrs in the studios, TV and Broadway....

The Harmonica IS listed as a Musical Instrument in the AFof M two separate instruments Harmonica and Classical Harmonica. You also get a double if you play Diatonic AND Chromatic you should also be able to get a double for Bass & Chord as well. Jaw Harp is also a double. his double at 15% per can add up in a pit of a broadway show and get you a BIGGER check. If someone is gonna sub on a show for you, they MUST be Union too.

Hope this answers some of your questions....Good Luck

Rob Paparozzi