From: flyinginthers@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 4:37 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] not sneering

hi i knew as soon as i wrote something about the old riffs being copied, it
would be mis understood,,, i sure don,t want to sneer,since i am hardly in the
position, i do own quite a collection of blues harp music and i am deeply into
listening  to the harp parts for my fullfillment as an aspiring player, they
harp drew me to the blues long before playing the diatonic myself, so i do have
deep respect for the past and the great performances that have set the standard
for many to follow, just look at the rock and rollers that copied off these
musicians,,,, i guess the point i try to make is that as i have progressed in my
playing i really recognize how much stuff is just passed along and that many
things are somewhat hard to explain in writing and lots of the good players
picked up on secrets that can't be learned in the books...i never had lessons,
so i don,t really know how much a typical student can pick up...but styles and
genres can blurr and new sounding and progressive
 styles may have roots in the bluesn to a large extent,  i just like to hear
some original harp licks  and runs or total songs that deviate into non
traditional styles yet got the soul just as much as any old song, but i sure do
enjoy the walters, and sonnies and the rest, as well as the guys who are playing
now and hope i can pickup on their influence,  i think what happened is that i
saw a comment on someone's posting that had something from paul delay  about
walter.s....and elvis impersonatorse  at the bottom of the page......ha,,guess
im not very original, anyway peace and hapiness   always a friend and harper
joe g